Thursday, November 13, 2008

I long for medieval medicine

Read this first. It's kinda important that you know what it is.

And this is how I am feeling now:


So...impotent


I just wish I could do something. Anything, really. My mother is in enough pain that she said the only thing she could compare it to is childbirth, a pain I cannot ever fully comprehend. All I can do, I suppose, is try to pick up my end of the slack around the house. Do more of the cooking, and the cleaning. But, I am not here that often anymore. At least if we were being told by some wise old medical wizard I could be told to go and sacrifice a goat or cover her in leeches or something. Do not attempt to advocate prayer to me. As I believe Ghandi said,
"Two working hands accomplishes much more than a thousand hands clasped in prayer."
But, for her suffering I can't do a damn thing. She said she's beginning to get health problems like my grandmother has. My grandmother is on a large quantity of pain medication, for she is in very much pain. I well up a little over this entire situation.

My little sister and I thankfully have oddly strong bones and joints, and are not at much risk. My youngest sister, it seems, is. I'm scared for her, I'm scared for my mother. I've warned my fiance in the past that she must face her mother's mortality someday, despite her apparent good health, for it is just realistic. I hoped it would lighten the hit she will one day emotionally take. But when it dopes happen, she'll have my shoulder to cry into.

Tomorrow I shall utilize hers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm really sorry about the situation your family is in. i know what it's like watching a family member suffer and knowing there's nothing you can do, as i watched my grandfather go through the final stages of alzheimers in 2007

let me know if there's anything i can do to make you feel better, although i'm not sure what i can do from hartford.