Sunday, August 30, 2009

For me the war is over

Yes, it's a Simpsons quote, but not a particularly noteworthy one. Only total fanboys would recognize it. The line itself is a misquote of a famous line from the movie "Platoon."

I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy, we fought ourselves, and the enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days. As I'm sure Elias will be, fighting with Barnes for what Rhah calls "possession of my soul." There are times since, I've felt like a child, born of those two fathers. But be that as it may, those who did make it have an obligation to build again. To teach to others what we know, and to try with whats left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.


This is the end of Summer for me. The calendar doesn't dictate it's final day until September 22, but my semester starts promptly tomorrow at 3:25 pm when my first class begins, and my night will surely contain much drama as I fight tooth and nail with the administration for my right to take a class. I have nothing in my arsenal besides an assertive disposition and the deplorable pity card. Perhaps tonight I shall practice my puppy dog eyes.

This summer has been a strange one, and not a good one. With the ushering in of scholastic responsibility comes the lack of focus on Darien's well being. Do not think me calloused, though. He is my best friend, and I love him like family, but I do not have the time or energy to babysit him anymore. When he finally goes, my scholastic performance will undoubtedly suffer. But, it is as I said above: For me, the war is over. I cannot keep waging battle, as I need to return from the front lines. I have a home to return to, and a family to attend to.

Today is a strange day. I saw a film with my father and eldest sister. "Inglorious Bastards" by Tarantino. I didn't dislike the film, but I can't say I thoroughly enjoyed it either. The build up was powerful, the tension palpable, and the payoff adequate. I snuck candy into the theater. Now I am home, and writing, and soon I will dye my hair blue black, my favorite color for my own hair.

It's a strange day. I'm watching Simpsons with Aislinn at this very moment. The episode HOMR from season 12, when Homer becomes intelligent. For over 24 hours a word has escaped my grip. I know one must exist but cannot form it. A word that is defined as a suffering or depression caused as a consequence of above average intelligence.



As intelligence goes up, happiness goes down. See, I made a graph. I make a lot of graphs.


I feel so weird today, on this strange day. My stomach and mind seem so off kilter. I don't know quite what to do. Wistful sighs occupy my lips, and I'm going to trail off in this blog post now....

No comments: