Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I'm a dick, not a criminal.

Under the United States Code Title 18 Subsection 1514(c)1. Harassment is defined as "a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such a person and serves no legitimate purpose".

I sent 1 mean text, got a mean reply, and the rest was insulting banter. Was I being a dick? Absolutely. However, my one mean text was sent with the purpose of bluntly saying why I'm not interested in seeing her. I got an insulting reply. I wasn't harassing her at all, especially by legal means. She posted the transcript herself. She was as insulting if not more than I was. My intent was not to cause emotional distress. My intent was to get her to stop talking to me, granted, in my own dickish way. The total amount of texts sent is less than 20, and they were all but the first one in response. Oh, and after all this, like 2 hours after I'd fallen asleep, she sent me THREE texts, one long message, which was insulting. As it stands presently, I think I have actually a better case then her. But regardless, as my friend Lindsay informed me (she's been stalked and harassed like a motherfucker, it sucks), it takes more than 100 texts in a day for it to be harassment, and also the harassed usually asks for it to stop. She continued conversation. If I was told to stop, I would have immediately.

As for the slander on my friends bullshit. I went with 6 people I think, and I was discussing the matter with my group of friends, not shouting it out. I was amused, was laughing, and was asking how to appropriately respond to her comments. I honestly don't know who typed it, don't know whose phone it was, or who hit send.

Oh, and I have no plans to ever talk or text to you again. And I seriously doubt whoever texted you saved the number.

I hope this brings the matter to a close.

No comments: